The content below was obtained from the Alberta Health Services website Wildfire Resources. The original can be found here.
We Are Here to Help
You are not alone.
There are resources and services available to help you and your loved ones cope with health care needs and stress in the aftermath of fires.
There are a number of resources available; health care, mental health resources, important contacts, staff updates and emergency preparedness tips.
Remember, it is okay to ask for help. Everyone deals with stress differently and a traumatic event can have a big impact.
If you’re in the Wood Buffalo area and need immediate assistance, phone 911. If you’re not in immediate danger, you can contact the Wood Buffalo RCMP at 780-788-4000.
Mental Health Resources
AHS Mental Health is present at Lac La Biche, Suncor Firebag Village and St. Paul in the North Zone, Northlands Expo Centre in Edmonton and will soon be at SAIT in Calgary.
Experiencing a disaster such as the Fort McMurray fires can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming. If you need to talk, call the Mental Health Help Line at 1-877-303-2642 or Health Link at 811.
- Youth Addiction and Mental Health – Help4Me
- Emotional Wellbeing Tips For Disasters and Emergencies Playing Cards
- Additional resources –www.albertahealthservices.ca/amh
Responders / Health Care Professionals
- Disaster Response Tips for Health Care Providers
- Door-to-Door Outreach Toolkit: A Strategy For Building Community Connections & Wellness Post-Disaster
- Responders Stress and Self-care During a Disaster or Emergency
- Psychological First Aid After a Disaster
- Skills for Psychological Recovery After a Disaster
- Helping Your Child or Teen Prepare Emotionally For Disasters or Emergencies
- Preparing Emotionally for Disasters or Emergencies
- Preparing Emotionally for Disasters or Emergencies: Information for older adults
- Responding to a Disaster or Emergency
- Helping Your Child or Teen Respond to a Disaster or Emergency
- Responding to customers affected by a disaster
- Recovery after a Disaster or Emergency
- Recovery after a Disaster or Emergency: Information for older adults
- Having Trouble Coping After a Disaster or Emergency Tip Card
- Helping You Recover and Stay Well After a Disaster or Emergency
- Helping Children and Teens Recover from a Disaster or Emergency